"Dancin' Away With My Heart"

So - I see a lot of people "dreading" the coming Valentine's Day... Honestly, I couldn't care less about this day. When I was in a long term relationship I'll admit that I, in the beginning, expected my partner to get me something on Valentine's Day. I soon realized that it didn't mean as much as when he just surprised me on an ordinary day with something out of the ordinary. In reality, Valentine's Day has nothing to do with love or appreciation. It's a corporately structured "holiday" where industries try to put an emphasis on one day where your partner "should" show his appreciation for you. Why would it matter on this particular day and less on other days? Ridiculous...

Okay, I'll level with you guys. I believe in true love. Yeah I know what you're gonna say. Blah blah, women believe in true love and they always have. They want that knight in shining armour to come rescue them and won't give anything less than that a second glance... I've heard it all before, and it's a load of bull. There is NOTHING about love that's 100% easy. Love is difficult, messy and amazing. It's that one thing in your life that can make you feel like you can do absolutely anything you want, because you have the love and support of another human being. As I've recounted several times, love should be unconditional and willing. Not to the point of unfair or "blind" - but if one party is not willing to at least communicate and try to compromise, then there's nothing to build on.

I've been in love before, but it hasn't been a true love. Way too many things kept distracting my partner from committing to me, and me only. So, even though I know that person loved me, it wasn't that true, all encompassing love where nothing can tear the love apart. I haven't really been single for that long, a month or so shy, from a year I believe. I don't really know for sure, because at the end we were on and off so many times that I really think the love disappeared way before we finally broke it off for good. Most breakups hurt, and they should, because it means you've actually given a part of yourself to someone else. I know mine hurt like hell. We'd been together for way over 6 years. It was filled with good things, but also many hurtful things.

Even though I was betrayed in the end, by the person I trusted the most in my entire life, this has not made me give up on that true love. Emotionally dead people will try to convince you that love doesn't exist and that men basically aren't supposed to be monogamous, but you know what. The right one will be...

I believe in true love, and that it will find me when I least expect it. In the meantime I'll just be who I am, and the best version of me, because I also love myself. Some days it's harder than others, but I'm still here and that says something.

Tip of the day: "My mother always told me when I was a kid, that I should just be myself. I thought, what a weird thing to say? How could I be anyone other than who I am. But I understand it now. It's an emotional-grenade filled world out there. You have to protect your sense of self."

Love + Blessings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confused

Angsty teen