"It costs nothing to say something kind. Even less to say nothing at all."

I know there's good in all of us, regardless of what we've been taught to believe. Some times people just can't see past their own nose.



Yesterday I saw an episode of Glee (no judging!) and it had me in tears. The theme was bullying, and being different. Right then I decided that when I'm done with my graduation I will of course get a job, but somehow get involved in some kind of organization against bullying and possibly something related to LGBT rights. I also heard the news of young Jamey Rodemeyer who was involved with the "It gets better" community, took his own life, because of bullying. What is this world really coming to? We aren't allowed to be ourselves anymore? I see it this way, I don't think that sexual orientation matters... Until you've made a choice, chosen a partner, settled down with someone you love with all your heart. Even then, why would it matter if it's two guys or two girls that are together? In my world, love is love. No matter who loves each other. I can't help it that I love guys, it's not something I've been programmed too. I can see the beauty in girls, and I treasure the love I have for my close girlfriends, I just don't want to sleep with them. I guess as most young people do I've kissed my fair share of girls, and it's fun, it just doesn't do anything for me in the long term. And I'm never bullied because I like guys? Why not, I made a conscious choice to narrow down my list of eligible people that could be "the one". I've chosen to look away from girls and not give them a chance to be someone I want to fall in love with.

Why is that any different than a guy choosing men as his only compatible gender? Supposedly humanity these days are very enlightened and bright, yet when it comes to discriminating against the LGBT community it's like we're back in the dark ages. Hateful tweets about how being gay/lesbian is a sin... Young men and women getting death threats via mobile phones, Facebook messages and joining groups, e-mails, good old fashioned bigoted yelling in the playground at school. So much so that some young men and women choose the only way they think that can set them free, killing themselves. I don't like bringing God into this aspect but I know in my heart that he doesn't discriminate. He loves everyone equally and just wants to see us happy. In whatever form that is. Be it by changing your gender or loving a person of the same gender as yourself, as long as you are happy there shouldn't be anyone telling you it's wrong. I don't care for the religious fanatics either that try and push their own ignorant opinions off as God's. That's just horrendous. Makes me kind of sick to my stomach.

Honestly, all these young people taking their lives because some ignorant kids let their parents awful and hateful opinions color their own perception of the world is just so disheartening. I guess that's why I want to get involved and maybe I can help someone that feels like there is no other way. If I can help even one person, then that would make it worthwhile for me. I can't bear the thought of someone feeling bad because of who they are. Nathan Fillion recently tweeted to his old Firefly co-star who came out the other day, that he loved him and always had. I think doing something like that is beautiful. Shows strength of character and that makes him a beautiful and wonderful guy in my book. As he says on his twitter: "It costs nothing to say something kind. Even less to say nothing at all."

 Love + Blessings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confused

Angsty teen

"Dancin' Away With My Heart"