Day 1 - Challenge Accepted.

The first day of my challenge is coming to an end as I type these words. It's been surprisingly easy to stay off the social sites. A little harder to stay off Reddit, but I haven't succumbed to the desire to check... Not even once. I find that a little surprising actually.

When I grab my iPad to check something out on wikipedia or IMDb, I found myself continually tempted by my bookmarks on the bookmark bar of my browser. Several times my finger wandered over to the "Facebook" bookmark. It's purely out of habit, but I stop myself from pushing the link. After a few times where I'd almost pushed the link, I deleted all the shortcuts in my bookmark bar. This helped immensely. Now I don't even think about it when I open my Safari browser. I've also just deleted all of the shortcuts in my Chrome browser. It's a relief. Because you don't see those small icons that you feel you've become addicted to. It's much easier to somehow "forget" about their existance than it was before. Now I only have shortcuts for the two forums I'm part of, my blog and my email account. Uncluttering the bookmark bar has just been a really good decision. It stops the temptation.

Haven't been able to cut down that much on my tv usage, but I spent most of the time when the tv was on, to check some things out on the internet that I needed to research. One thing I researched was inspiration for my short story project. I have two finished short storys as of right now. Tomorrow I'm starting on my third one and seeing how that goes. Also, I have a BIG project in the works. I can't talk about it too much right now because it's in the early stages. But I really think that this will be something amazing for me. I spent most of last night and this morning researching about all of my options. It's looking really good so far!

I've also started tentatively working on an article that I'll post on one of the forums I'm a part of. It's about a subject that is called, "Spirited Away", these occurences exist in Japanese, Chinese and I think also Korean myths. The concept of the myth is that in most obscure wood areas or distant places there are villages which have been abandoned because of something. Mostly it is said that these villages and the inhabitants have performed all kinds of rituals that can create negative vibes. I find Japanese ghost myths extremely exciting and you can't search for ghost on youtube without coming across about 50 different "real ghost video" from Japan or China.

Back to my challenge. One thought I keep returning to is, what if there is someone trying to get a hold of me via Facebook and don't realize that I'm taking this sabbatical from the place. It's just a paranoid thought, because I feel in the end, if it was extremely important they would find out what my phone number is and give me call or shoot me a text. Or instead try to reach my email. Even though I feel relieved in not checking Facebook, Twitter and Reddit all the time. I do feel slightly "cut off". Like I'm missing something. But I do know plenty of people who have Facebook accounts and rarely ever posts something, so it is possible to have a "normal" relationship to the site. For now, I think this has been really good for me... I feel more relaxed and I get in touch with my friends instead of mindlessly searching for stuff on Reddit...

Maybe tonight I'll dream of Facebook withdrawal. Until tomorrow and day 2. Stay safe out there!

Love + Blessings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confused

Angsty teen

"Dancin' Away With My Heart"